DISSERTATIONS RELEVANT TO WILFRID SELLARS:
IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER
Note: I have included all the listings of dissertations as given in The Synoptic Vision: Essays on the Philosophy of Wilfrid Sellars, by C.F. Delaney, Michael J. Loux, Gary Gutting, W. David Solomon (Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 1977), and have added to that list. This is not a comprehensive listing -- new or missed listings will be added. If any of the authors listed wishes to have their dissertation placed at this site, send me a signed permission to do so, a hard copy, and a copy in electronic form, to:
906 S. May St.
Chicago, IL 60607
- Klein, 1966
- Klein, Peter, "The Revolt Against Sense-Data: A Defense of
the Sense-Data Framework," Yale University, 1966.
- McKim, 1966
- McKim, Vaughn R., "Human Action and a Scientific Image of
Man," Yale University, 1966.
- Child, 1967
- Child, James W., "The Ontological Commitment of Physical
Theories," Indiana University, 1967.
- Evans, 1967
- Evans, Robert H., "The Decline and Revival of Critical
Realism," University of Pittsburgh, 1967.
- Lennon, 1968
- Lennon, Thomas M., "The Problem of Intentionality in Recent
Analytic Philosophy," The Ohio State University, 1968.
- Rosenthal, 1968
- Rosenthal, David M., "Intentionality: A Study of the Views
of Chisholm and Sellars," Princeton University, 1968. 361 pp.
- BonJour, 1969
- BonJour, Laurence, "Knowledge, Justification and Truth: A
Sellarsian Approach to Epistemology," Princeton University, 1969.
- Echelbarger, 1969
- Echelbarger, Charles G., "Wilfrid Sellars' Philosophy of
Mind," The Ohio State University, 1969.
- Grontkowski, 1969
- Grontkowski, Christine R., "The Priority of the Scientific
Image: An Investigation of Wilfrid Sellars' Ontological
Commitment," Fordham University, 1969. 213 pp.
- Mason, 1969
- Mason, Perry C., "Ontic Commitment and Abstract Entities in
the Philosophy of Wilfrid Sellars," Yale University, 1969. 208 pp.
- Marquis, 1970
- Marquis, Donald B., "Scientific Realism and the Antinomy of
External Objects," Indiana University, 1970.
- Moore, 1970
- Moore, Harold, "Instrumentalism," Fordham University, 1970.
- Putz, 1970
- Putz, Carl H., "The Nature of Scientific Laws," University
of Pittsburgh, 1970.
- Wall, 1970
- Wall, Thomas F., "Intentionality and the Analogy Theory of
Thinking," Boston College, 1970.
- Angelo, 1971
- Angelo, Bernard J., "Wilfrid Sellars and the Free-Will Determinism Issue," M.A. Thesis, State University of New York at Buffalo," 1971.
- Czerny, 1971
- Czerny, Robert E., "Meaning, Minds, and Language-Learning: A Critical Study of Wilfrid Sellars' Philosophy of Mind," M.A. Thesis, University of Toronto, 1971.
- Hopkins, 1971
- Hopkins, Edwin E., "Wilfrid Sellars' Analysis of Physical
Modality: In Search of an Argument," Duke University, 1971. 225 pages.
- Richards, 1971
- Richards, Robert J., "Wilfrid Sellars: Towards a Scientific
Explanation of Man," St. Louis University, 1971. 314 pages.
- McCaskill, 1972
- McCaskill, David G., "Conceptual Schemes and the Revolt
Against the Foundational Theory of Knowledge," Wayne State
- Pitt, 1972
- Pitt, Joseph C., "An Analysis of Wilfrid Sellars' Theory of
Justification," The University of Western Ontario, 1972.
- Anderson, 1973
- Anderson, Kenneth Christian, "Wilfrid Sellars and the
Theory of the Given," University of Toronto, 1973.
- Dayton, 1973
- Dayton, Eric Brian, "Desire and Practical Reason," The University of Western Ontario, 1973
- Rottschaefer, 1973
- Rottschaefer, William A., "Ordinary Knowledge in the
Scientific Realism of Wilfrid Sellars," Boston University, 1973. 384 pp.
- Doody, 1974
- Doody, John A., "Scientific Realism and Instrumentalism: An
Analysis of the Concepts of Description and Explanation,"
University of Notre Dame, 1974.
- Hartjes, 1974
- Hartjes, John F., "The Critique of the Given in Wilfrid
Sellars and Edmund Husserl," The Catholic University of America, 1974. 280 pages.
- Ingham, 1974
- Ingham, Charles, "Sellars' Theory of Universals and
Particulars," Brown University, 1974. 181 pp.
- Norman, 1974
- Norman, Jack, "Events and Semantical Theories," University of
- O'Connell, 1974
- O'Connell, Richard A., "The Structure of Meaning and
Knowledge," Wayne State University, 1974.
- Freddoso, 1976
- Freddoso, Alfred, "A Defense of Conceptualism," University
of Notre Dame, 1976.
- Pressman, 1976
- Pressman, Sydney Carol, "Thought and Meaning in Wilfrid
Sellars," State University of New York at Albany, 1976.
- Tarr, 1979
- Tarr, Patrick Howard, "Wilfrid Sellars' Theory of
Sensations," University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1979, 204 pp.
- Brown, 1980
- Brown, Peter Godfrey, "Kantian Psycholinguistics: Wilfrid
Sellars' Philosophy of Language as a Theory of Language
Development," Emory University, 1980, 293 pp.
- Mazzucco, 1980
- Mazzucco, Louis Frank, "A Study of Wilfrid Sellars'
Realism," University of Connecticut, 1980.
- Becker, 1981
- Becker, Robert James, "Wilfrid Sellars and the Mind-Body
Problem: A Historical and Critical Examination of Sellars' Unity
of Thought," Tulane University, 1981.
- Davis, 1981
- Davis, William W., "Analogy and Mental Representation: A
Solution to the Mind-Body Problem Based on the Philosophy of
Wilfrid Sellars," University of Kansas, 1981, 303 pp.
- Evans, 1981
- Evans, Joseph Claude, "The Metaphysics of Transcendental
Subjectivity: Descartes, Kant and Sellars," State University of
New York at Stoney Brook, 1981, 295 pp.
- Murphy, 1981
- Murphy, Claudia Mary, "Evolutionary Metaphysics: An
Example," University of California, Berkley, 1981, 133 pp.
- Thurston, 1981
- Thurston, Bonnie Colleen, "Consciousness and the Evolution
of Conceptual Frameworks," University of British Columbia, 1981.
- Bernstein, 1982
- Bernstein, Mark Howard, "Freedom of Will and Autonomy of
Mind," University of California, Santa Barbara, 1982, 120 pp.
- Friedman, 1982
- Friedman, Irving Stephen, "Wilfrid Sellars' Refutation of
Physical (,2) Reductive Materialism," City University of New
- Hampton, 1982
- Hampton, Philip Michael, "Direct Realism and the
Phenomenology of Perceptual Consciousness," University of
- Paas, 1982
- Paas, David E., "Presupposition," University of Nebraska -
Lincoln, 1982, 153 pp.
- Atkinson, 1984
- Atkinson, Nancy Carol, "Sentience and Stuff," Claremont
Graduate School, 1984, 171 pp.
- Griffis, 1984
- Griffis, James B., "Seeing and Sensing: Wilfrid Sellars'
Theory of Perception," State University of New York at Buffalo, 1984.
- Pendleton, 1984
- Pendleton, Gene Ronald, "Intuition and the Mode of Analogy:
A Study of Sellars and Kant," University of Waterloo, 1984.
- Lance, 1988
- Lance, Mark Norris, "Normative Inferential Vocabulary: The Explication of Social Linguistic Practice," University of Pittsburgh, 1988, 227 pp.
- Macbeth, 1988
- Macbeth, Danielle Monique, "Making Sense of Intentionality: An Essay in the Philosophy of Mind,"
University of Pittsburgh, 1988, 301 pp.
- Scott-Kakures, 1988
- Scott-Kakures, Dion James, "The Status of Vernacular Psychology," The University of Michigan, 1988, 289 pp.
- Bickle, 1989
- Bickle, John William, "Towards a Contemporary Reformulation of the Mind-Body Problem," University of California, Irvine, 1989, 338 pp.
- Chrucky, 1990
- Chrucky, Andrew, "Critique of Wilfrid Sellars'
Materialism," Fordham University, 1990, 537 pp.
- Seibt, 1990
- Seibt, Johanna, "Towards Process Ontology: A Critical Study in Substance-Ontological Premises," University of Pittsburgh, 1990, 517 pp.
- Rudnick, 1991
- Rudnick, Kenneth Joseph, "Charles Sanders Peirce on the Cognitive Given," Fordham University, 1991, 222 pp.
- Rubenstein, 1995
- Rubenstein, Eric M., "The Metaphysics of Content," University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1995, 243 pp.
- Burstein, 2004
- Burstein, Matthew A., "Neither Tortoises nor Snakes: How to be a Conscientious Objector in the Conflict between Foundationalism and Coherentism," Georgetown University, 2004, 243 pp.
- Levine, 2005
- Levine, Steven, "Naturalism and Normativity: Sellars and McDowell on Mind, Perception, and World." New School, 2005.
- Poston, 2006
- Poston, Ted Lanice, "Sellars And Socrates: An Investigation of The Sellars Problem For A Socratic Epistemology," University of Missouri, Columbia, 2006, 185 pp.
- Macbean, Jeremy, "Sellars, Scientific Realism, and the Philosophy of Mind." University of Western Ontario, 2008. Adviser: Ausonio Marras.
- Olen, 2012
- Olen, Peter, "Sellars in Context: An Analysis of Wilfrid Sellars's Early Works," University of South Florida, 2012.
Committee: Stephen Turner, Richard Manning, Rebecca Kukla, Willem deVries, Alex Levine.
[Return to Main Page]